Friday, May 21, 2010

What do I need to include in a C program source code distribution?

I'm working on a C programming project, using Dev-C++. What files do I need to include if I want to distribute the source code? Besides the .c, .h, .rc files I wrote, there're .manifest, makefile... Which of those are needed in order to let others compile successfully, using any compiler they like?





And what is the use of those Dev-C++-generated files like .manifest, makefile?

What do I need to include in a C program source code distribution?
The makefile describes the build instructions and dependencies. You always want to include this.





Throw in the any other tool-generated files as well - it can't hurt, and if someone is using dev-c++, it would be welcome.





If you use a special library (like sdl), you may want to include it. This is up to you, and may depent on your target audience.





Document anything like that - include urls for where get libraries and and other stuff even if you do include them.

ovary

No comments:

Post a Comment