Monday, May 24, 2010

How do I program c code output to the parallel port?

I am trying to transmit characters thuough the parallel port using c code on a Win98 machine.

How do I program c code output to the parallel port?
I've never tried this myself, but is your program going to be a Windows based one, or a console (dos box) style one?





For a console program, I suspect you can open the file "lpt1" or maybe "prn" (or maybe "lpt1:" or "prn:") and start sending and maybe receiving characters from it as if it were some type of file stream. For example, I vaguely recall being able to do something like this in the past from a command prompt:


echo "this will be printed" %26gt; lpt1





But if you are writing a Windows program, you probably need some kind of Windows API function calls. A little research on that turned up this page:


http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defaul...





Hope this helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment